Thursday, November 27, 2008

Start of the Art


I first started painting as a youngster. I convinced my mother to let me take some classes at a local art studio. The first media I started with was Tole Painting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tole_painting

It's become a family joke because I gave every family member gifts of my tole paintings that Christmas.

Over the years my family members continue to be proud recipients of my latest creations as my range of media expands and as my craft-of-the-moment changes. There were the camp years with the leather tooled key chains and belts moving on to the beaded jewelry. When I started my pottery period, everyone received thrown coffee cups, bowls and saucers. My children and I made our own set of plates and bowls that are still favorites of ours today.

My brother recently quipped that he is glad to see that I've advanced beyond the tole painting stage. Ah, brothers!

Here's one of my first Tole Paintings. You gotta love that my mom still has this around her house!

No comments: